Googling about D

Jeremy Sandell jlsandell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 14:29:39 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 4:47 AM, egslava <egslava at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! In the beginning, sorry for my very bad English (and, perhaps, for
> stupid idea too) :) I hope we'll find common language :)
>
> I don't program with D a lot, but when I try to find information in
> google, I use that way:
> "dlang something". And google very often tries to change it to "slang
> something" :)
> But I think, today, it's the best way. Because you can't look for "d
> something". Because D - it's just a letter.
> dlang - it's a word, so you can find something more ease, than just with
> "D".
>
> There're no any problem - you'll find necessary information on
> first-second page of searching results.
>
> Problems appear when I try to find all open-source solutions for D.
> For example, if I wanna find all web-frameworks and compare them.
> Recently, I tried to find package manager - it was a problem _for me_. I
> understand - there're package manager, but I can't compare all them,
> because I can't find them _quickly_.
>
> I think, it would more better, if D had official phrase for searchings.
> For example:
> d7ddb663512e4618b8f03d725d7f49**c9e0ecc1e2 (sha1).
> If you'll find "**d7ddb663512e4618b8f03d725d7f49**c9e0ecc1e2
> web-framework" - you'll find nothing. It's very cool. Because, if there
> aren't web framework for D - you'll just know about it. You won't move
> through 10 pages of noise from Google.

While that's certainly the most interesting solution I've heard to this
sort of problem, in my own opinion I'd think that having a centralized
index and package tool (much like ruby's "gem", python's "pip", lua's
"luarocks") would be a better way of handling the issue - I remember seeing
a bit of talk about this some months (years?) ago but have since been too
busy to worry about it. :D

Best regards,
Jeremy Sandell