const property don't wont return const reference to value

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Dec 23 12:45:10 PST 2012

On Sunday, December 23, 2012 21:34:25 Namespace wrote:
> > No one has been able to convince Walter. He thinks that the
> > consistency of
> > allowing function attributes on both sides trumps fixing the
> > problems caused by
> > having const or immutable on the left.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> It is more confusing than anything else but as I said I would
> waste my time with convince Walter.
> What is your opinion?

On which? Whether it should be changed or whether it's worth your time trying
to convince Walter? I'd definitely argue that putting const and immutable on
the left should be made illegal. The consistency is not worth the problems
that it causes. But I doubt that there's much hope of convincing Walter at
this point. The fact that newbies screw it up all the time clearly isn't
enough to convince him, or he would have relented in the past. And that's
really the only argument AFAIK, since if you know what you're doing, it's
trivial to avoid the problem.

- Jonathan M Davis