structs are now lvalues - what is with "auto ref"?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Dec 23 16:36:51 PST 2012

On Monday, December 24, 2012 01:19:22 Namespace wrote:
> If I remember correctly, the discussion and the fix of "auto ref"
> permanently on dmd since 2.058. But since at least June 2012. Is
> that correct?

It's been discussed off and on for ages, but it's never been a high enough
priority to actually get fixed. I believe that the last major discussion
involving both Walter and Andrei was on the Beta list during the beta for
2.060, but there have been a couple of discussions involving other people in
the main newsgroup more recently than that.

> That is a very important use case. No one can/will use D
> seriously if D has all the time such big problems.

Plenty of people are using it with the problems that it currently has, but I
do agree that it needs to be fixed. Still, it's not like problems aren't being
fixed. It's just that other problems have been fixed first.

- Jonathan M Davis