D at work

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Feb 8 19:24:53 PST 2012

Pedro Lacerda:

> Since still are many compiler bugs and phobos is changing quickly, is
> better I stuck at some version (eg. 2.057),  or "rolling release" is the
> way to go?

I am using "rolling" with D, but now I am doing it at a sub-release resolution. This means I keep my code updated about as DMD gets updated, almost daily. I do this because from my experience I've seen that for me it's not easy to fix in my code all those changes/improvements at once every DMD release, and to learn all those things at once :-) I think I am not wasting a significant amount of time doing this because 98% of the changes are progressive, and compiling DMD+Phobos requires a very short time, and I avoid some troubles I used to have.

Probably few years from now the situation will slow down, and a more relaxed approach will be enough, like updating my code every release or two.

Bye,
bearophile