A GUI library to begin with

Damian Ziemba nazriel at driv.pl
Thu Feb 9 12:25:28 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 8 February 2012 at 03:55:41 UTC, Mr. Anonymous
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to start playing with D, and I'm looking at a GUI
> library to begin with.
> From what I see here:
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GuiLibraries
> I have four choices:
> GtkD, DWT, DFL, DGui.
>
> Has anyone tried these? Any suggestions?
> What is the status of DWT? What's the difference between DFL
> and DGui? Why does GTK suck (I read that a couple of times).
>
> Thanks.

GtkD seems to be the most mature and production ready for D.
Although indeed, Gtk+ (and then GtkD) suffers from its lack of
Native controls.

The best solution would be QtD, but it looks like its abandoned.
QtJambi isn't officially supported by Trolltech (Nokia, whatever
:D) any more, so switching to Smoke would be the must.

WxD works quite good, you need to keep in mind that it crashes
with DMD64, GDC and LDC works fine.

DWT could be nice if it gets 64bitz support and Mac/Cocoa port
too.

DFL seems to be Windows only? Tho I guess it isn't maintained
anymore.

Situation with D and GUI is kinda poor.
I see hope in Andrej researches about wxPHP and bringing it to D.
I see hope in reviewing QtD project, it used to be flagship
product next to DWT for D.
DWT could be nice too if 64bt for Windows/Linux and Cocoa will be
in.

As for now, I would use GtkD ;-)