More octal questions

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 09:52:09 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 17:48:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Yes, I guessed as much. Which brings up a question of what
> exactly octal deprecation will entail.

The goal here is to make sure things either do what they
look like, or don't compile.

010 doesn't do what it looks like to a person used to
decimal; it is a C octal literal for decimal 8.

So it is deprecated.

But, making it mean decimal 10 is also a no go, because
if you're used to C syntax, it won't do what you expect.

That's why it is an error. It is sure to confuse *somebody*.

01, 02, 03, ... 07 though work in both cases, so they
might still be allowed. (I'm not sure if they are or not).

But since there's no confusion for decimal people or for
C people, there's no problem with those small numbers.

> Also, string escape sequences appear to allow backslash octal
> as well;
> are these being deprecated or are they here to stay?

I'm not sure.