interface final members

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 09:58:59 PST 2012

On 02/21/2012 04:46 AM, Joshua Reusch wrote:
> interface I {
> final int foo(I other, int a, int b) {
> return other.foo(a,b) + a*b;
> }
> int foo(int a, int b);
> }
>
> class A : I {
> int foo(int a, int b) {
> return a*b;
>
> void main() {
> A a = new A;
>
> a.foo(5,5);
> a.I.foo(a, 5,5);
> a.foo(a, 5,5); //line 22
> }
> ---------
> $ rdmd interface_final_test
> interface_final_test.d(22): Error: function interface_final_test.A.foo
> (int a, int b) is not callable using argument types (A,int,int)
> interface_final_test.d(22): Error: expected 2 arguments, not 3 for
> non-variadic function type int(int a, int b)
> ---------
>

> Why do I need to write a.I.foo instead of a.foo to call the final method
> of the interface ?
>
> Thank you, Joshua

Are you using 2.058? If so, this may be a bad interaction with the
newly-added UFCS feature, which I haven't seen working yet. :)

The reason that I think so is that when the 'I other' is moved to a
parameter location other than the first one, it works:

interface I {
     final int foo(int a, I other, int b) {// <- second parameter
         return other.foo(a,b) + a*b;
     }
     int foo(int a, int b);
}

class A : I {
     int foo(int a, int b) {
         return a*b;

void main() {
     A a = new A;

     a.foo(5,5);
     a.I.foo(5, a, 5);
     a.foo(5,5); //line 22
}

I would say this warrants a bug report. The original code should have
worked too.

Ali