D runtime Garbage Collector details

Vadim vadim.goryunov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 15:49:43 PST 2012

I am looking for the details on D Garbage Collection
implementation. I will much appreciate if someone suggests the
answers or give some links to existing documentation clarifying
the following points:

1. Is it Mark-n-Sweep or copy or generational collector or simple
reference counting? Or anything else? Any documentation on this
would be very helpful

2. Sun/Oracle JVM publishes a number of counters in shared memory
so that user may easily monitor the memory usage and the GC
statistics real-time without affecting the application (and
without modifying the application). Is there anything similar for
D GC?

3. Is there any performance tests of D GC efficiency? Is it
possible to write GC-predictable code (without manual
allocate/free) or at least do something like System.gc()?