D runtime Garbage Collector details

Kevin Cox kevincox.ca at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 19:22:07 PST 2012

On Feb 23, 2012 6:50 PM, "Vadim" <vadim.goryunov at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for the details on D Garbage Collection implementation. I
will much appreciate if someone suggests the answers or give some links to
existing documentation clarifying the following points:

> 1. Is it Mark-n-Sweep or copy or generational collector or simple
reference counting? Or anything else? Any documentation on this would be
very helpful

> 2. Sun/Oracle JVM publishes a number of counters in shared memory so that
user may easily monitor the memory usage and the GC statistics real-time
without affecting the application (and without modifying the application).
Is there anything similar for D GC?

> 3. Is there any performance tests of D GC efficiency? Is it possible to
write GC-predictable code (without manual allocate/free) or at least do
something like System.gc

There is quite a lot of info in the mailing list.  Off of the top of my
head I know it is a mark and sweep.  There is someone who did their Phd on
GC in D and he did a fairly good analysis of the current situation.

And as the fellow before me said, there is a garbage collector control.