SONAME and D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Feb 24 13:00:55 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 09:35:57PM +0100, Jordi Sayol wrote:
> Al 24/02/12 20:45, En/na H. S. Teoh ha escrit:
[...]
> > I personally think that phobos *should* be a shared object at some
> > point, but not everyone agrees with me.
> >

> I think that phobos should be a shared object too, but only when it
> has some sense (by now, every dmd release breaks previous libraries,
> at least gtkd ones)
[...]

I suppose D/Phobos is currently still too volatile to start committing
to shared library version numbers yet. One *could* in theory start doing
it and just end up with very large version numbers, which the system in
theory can handle just fine, although people seem aversive to the
possibility of having /usr/lib/libphobos.so.2.x for all x from 0 to some
very large number.

It won't be covered in the book. The source code has to be useful for
something, after all. -- Larry Wall