produced binary is quite big

James Miller james at aatch.net
Sun Feb 26 01:43:39 PST 2012

On 26 February 2012 21:28, Jabba Laci <jabba.laci at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to D. I tried the basic Hello World program ("dmd hello.d")
> but it produced a 316 KB big binary. The same thing with C ("gcc
> hello.c") is about 9 KB. Is there a way to reduce the size of the
> produced binary?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Laszlo

Phobos (the standard library) is currently not a shared library, due
to the fact that shared library support in D is poor at the moment,
and D itself is relatively unstable, otherwise we would have 100's of
versions of the library floating around...

The C version is small because it uses the C library and runtime,
which are dynamically linked, so aren't included in the size of the
file. Try statically linking the C version, I can't remember exactly
how to do that at the moment, and you'll find the sizes to be similar.

Also compiling with -release and -O2 would reduce the size, but I'm
not sure by how much.