Is empty array null?

Mikael Lindsten mikael at lindsten.net
Tue Feb 28 00:30:01 PST 2012

2012/2/28 Pedro Lacerda <pslacerda at gmail.com>

> So are a newly allocated array and a null one just the same thing?
>
>     int[] a = [], b = null;
>     assert(a == b);
>     assert(a.length == b.length);
>     assert(a.ptr == a.ptr);

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question - I'm new to D but I've been keeping an
eye on it for quite a while (and also read the book).

Coming from the Java/C# world, not distinguishing between an empty array
and null feels strange to me. Is this so for strings as well? ...and in
Pedros example, if you assign null to b and then try to access b.length,
don't you get a NullPointerException? What am I missing?

/ Mikael