Exceptions in safe D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jan 9 19:10:52 PST 2012

On Tuesday, January 10, 2012 03:55:35 Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Maybe I missed something, but the last I knew Safe D is not
> completely implemented. I think checking that you don't call
> system functions is the only piece implemented, and Phobos isn't
> annotated with it.

Yeah. I'm not sure how well @safe is implemented in general, but IIRC, it's
not fully implemented yet - though it certainly works well enough to use in
many cases. However, one of the biggest problems is essentially the same
problem that we have with const, and that is that not enough stuff in druntime
and Phobos uses it where it should. Case in point: Exception isn't marked with
@safe, pure, or nothrow, and it probably could (and probably _should_) be
marked with all three. Attribute inferrence for templates has helped a lot
with the problem, but there's still plenty of non-templated stuff which needs
to be fixed up to work properly with @safe, pure, and nothrow.

- Jonathan M Davis