dmd & gdc

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jan 26 09:43:12 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 06:06:38PM +0100, xancorreu wrote:
[...]
> I note that gdc is completely free software but dmd runtime is not.

You mean free as in freedom, not as in price.

> An alternative is ldc, also free.

I looked up ldc recently, and it seems that it hasn't been updated for
years. Seems that gdc is the only other D compiler that's still actively
maintained. And from what I hear, its front end is essentially the same
as dmd.

[...]
> A painful is the lack of documentation: there is only API/Classes
> docs and few html pages. The books are non-free and there are not
> worth tutorials.

Andrei's book is worth the buy. It's not that expensive and it covers a
lot of very useful stuff.

As for docs and tutorials, why not contribute by writing more of them?

> I like D but definitively it makes me back!.
> Compare for example golang and D. Both relatively new languages (D is
> elder) and you have many more docs about golang than D. You have not a
> bunch of docs, docs you get with python or perl, but it's worthy
> amount.
[...]

It's because of the size of the community. The D community is relatively
small, but because google has such a wide exposure, golang has acquired
a large following in spite of its young age. Larger community == more
people writing tutorials, docs, howtos, etc..

So how to combat this? Write your own tutorials and docs. Contribute to
the community.

The fact that anyone still uses AOL shows that even the presence of
options doesn't stop some people from picking the pessimal one. - Mike
Ellis