readonly?

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Wed Jul 11 08:52:38 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 11 July 2012 at 10:00:33 UTC, Tobias Pankrath wrote:
> The languages conflates reference and instance type for
> classes. See here http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/a55ad2b6 . I wouldn't
> say this should change but it is a minor inconsistency I just
> stumbled on.

This is not an inconsistency, but by design. Classes
intrinsically are reference types, there isn't something like an
»instance type« for them, which helps avoiding things like the
slicing problem in C++. Yes, in D, types are always only either
value types (structs) or polymorphic reference types (classes),
but I fail to see anything inconsistent here.

David