Object Pointer

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jul 16 00:44:22 PDT 2012

On Monday, July 16, 2012 09:33:42 Namespace wrote:
> Yes. I want a Pointer of Foo's reference, you're right. I think i
> have to move the reference to the heap?

If you don't want it to point to a local variable and cause problems when it
goes out of scope, then yeah, though I don't know if it's possible to do that
or not. Probably, but I'd have to think about it and try out a bunch of stuff
to be sure. Certainly, you could stick it in a struct and have a pointer to
the struct.

Regardless, I would point out that you lose polymorphism if you do that. You
only get polymorphism with references, not pointers. So, you don't want to try
and call member functions on a class instance through a pointer.

But what you really should be using is std.typecons.Rebindable. If you're
operating on pointers to class references much, then you're probably doing
something wrong with your design. Classes really aren't intended to be used
that way.

- Jonathan M Davis