Detector for unused variables

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jul 30 13:25:52 PDT 2012

On Monday, July 30, 2012 21:02:14 Namespace wrote:
> That's right. But the majority of programming languages has this
> feature, but D does not. This feature is undeniable effective, so
> IMO there is no reason which stands against a warning for unused
> variables. Or can you tell me some personal reasons, without
> quoting Walter?

Aside from the fact that it can be really annoying when the compiler complains
about unused parameters? I believe that the bug report that you posted to
includes some discussion on some of the technical issues caused by making
unused variables a warning. In particular, it causes problems for generic code
as well as template constraints. A _lot_ of templates used for template
constraints would generate warnings if usused variables were a warning. So,
if you were compiling with -w, it would become _very_ easy to have your
program not compile. And there are plenty of cases where generated code ends
up with unused variables, and it's fine.

I grant you that it's undesirable to have unused variables sitting around in
most functions, but there _are_ cases where disallowing that (as making it a
warning effectively does) causes problems. This is the sort of thing that's
better left to a lint-like tool IMHO.

- Jonathan M Davis