Detector for unused variables

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Jul 30 15:02:45 PDT 2012

Dmitry Olshansky:

> "Most people I know" is hardly good enough argument.

The point is that this warning is a basic thing, other compilers
have it and I enjoy it in those languages and putting this
feature into external tools is not going to help most D
programmers.

> I know but DMD won't have it in near future.

There is a long list of things Walter has done to D/DMD in the
last four years that initially seemed contrary to his opinions
and nearly impossible to happen :-) Bugzilla shows that most of
my most important enhancement requests have being accepted.
Walter is not set in stone, he's sometimes very slow, but he
never stops moving forward, unlike lot of other people I know.

>Other compilers may do what they want to do.<

Right. If LDC/GDC introduce this warning and we are able to show
its usefulness, maybe Walter will change his mind.
In the last two years Walter has introduced in DMD many bugfixes
and changes suggested by static analyzers/lints, including Clang,
and he has removed several unused variables from DMD suggested by
those tools :-]

Bye,
bearophile