typeof(string.front) should be char

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Mar 3 17:54:17 PST 2012

On Saturday, March 03, 2012 13:46:16 Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 03/03/2012 01:42 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 12:42:53PM -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >> The current solution encourages correct usage (or at least usage which
> >> is closer to correct, since it still isn't at the grapheme level)
> >> without disallowing more optimized code.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Speaking of graphemes, is anyone interested in implementing Unicode
> > normalization for D? I looked at the specs briefly, and it seems to be
> > something that is straightforward to implement, albeit somewhat tedious.
> >
> > It would be nice if D string types are normalized (needs slight change
> > to string concatenation). Or at least, if there's a guaranteed
> > normalized string type for those who care about it.

> Denis Spir was working on solving that problem but unfortunately we
> haven't heard from him for almost a year now. I think this is his site:
>
>    http://spir.wikidot.com

There's some stuff in the new std.regex which was done to enhance unicode
support which is currently completely internal to it which may end up being
the basis for more, but Dmitry hasn't yet worked on creating a version of that
for more general consumption AFAIK. I'm not quite sure what he did though,
since I'm not familier with std.regex.

- Jonathan M Davis