IPC: Pipes & std.process

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 07:08:05 PST 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:35:57 -0500, nrgyzer <nrgyzer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on IPC's. I already figured out that the implementation
> depends on
> the operation system. Is there any solution to support both - windows &
> posix
> systems? I'm developing on a win-machine and don't want to re-write my
> app on
> linux. As I saw on dlang.org, std.process of Phobos (prerelease) seems to
> support creating pipes for both system types. So I downloaded the latest
> version from https://github.com/kyllingstad/phobos/blob/new-std-process.
> When I
> run win32.mak using "make -f win32.mak", I got the following error:
>
> Error: don't know how to make '..\druntime\lib\druntime.lib
>
> So, I first try to build druntime.lib using win32.make and I got:
>
> masm386 -DM_I386=1 -D_WIN32 -Mx src\rt\minit.asm;
> Can't run 'masm386', check PATH
>
> I also downloaded masm386 and I just get the following error:
>
> dmc -c  src\rt\minit.asm
> masm386 -DM_I386=1 -D_WIN32 -Mx src\rt\minit.asm;
>  Assembling: src\rt\minit.asm;
> MASM : fatal error A1000: cannot open file : src\rt\minit.asm;
>
> Does anyone know how to solve this error (minit.asm exists in src\rt\)
> or is
> there any other solution (for e.g. based on the stable version of
> phobos)?
>
> Thx in advance!

You shouldn't need masm to build druntime on Windows, at least as far as I
know.

However, I haven't built druntime in a while on windows.

Just to note, 2.058 is the first version of dmd which should allow the
improvements to std.process to work.  I still haven't tested it yet, but I
will do this soon.  You will likely see std.process improvements become
part of 2.059.

-Steve