D RTTI?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Mar 5 12:16:14 PST 2012

I know D doesn't really have RTTI yet, but I'm experimenting with
"faking" it by doing something like:

	class A {
		string prop1;
		int prop2;
		void serialize() {
			__serialize(this);

	void __serialize(T)(T obj) {
		writeln(typeid(obj));
		foreach (name; __traits(derivedMembers, T)) {
			writefln("%s = %s", name,
				__traits(getMember,obj,name));

The only thing is, serialize() has to be declared in every derived
class, because T needs to be known at compile-time. Is there a way to
"automate" this? I.e., automatically insert the serialize() boilerplate
code into derived classes?

(P.S.  D just took on brand new levels of cool when I realized I could
do something like this. Imagine doing this with C++ templates...  ugh!
What a painful thought!)

Tech-savvy: euphemism for nerdy.