How do I force something onto the heap? (need for libev)

Tyler Jameson Little beatgammit at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:20:16 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 6 March 2012 at 05:17:20 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On 3/6/2012 2:10 PM, Tyler Jameson Little wrote:
>> Oh, thanks! I missed your reply.
>>
>> That sounds reasonable, and a lot better than my super hacky
>> Socket[].
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I've never used libev and am only vaguely familiar with it. But
> if the callbacks are called from outside the main thread,
> you'll likely need to mark your socket map as shared or
> __gshared to guarantee you aren't working with thread-local
> data.

I think it runs in the same thread as it was called in, but
that's a good insight. With your help, I got it working (just
pushed to the same file if you're interested).

Thanks for the insight about shared and __gshared, I just read
about those today. I think I may do that anyway, because I'll end
up working with multiple threads, and having access to it would
be nice.