duplicate symbol linker errors, my fault or D's?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Mar 5 23:27:52 PST 2012

On 2012-03-06 01:04, Zach the Mystic wrote:
> I'm not sure if the linker errors I'm getting are my fault or D's.
>
> I'm trying to do incremental compilation since the size of my
> program is starting to break my computer, slowing compilations
> down by four or five times.

I just want to give you a warning about incremental compilation.
Currently it doesn't work out that well in D due to various reasons. You
can search the newsgroups archive for extended posts about this. But to
mention some of the reasons:

DMD doesn't output all symbols to all object files resulting in missing
symbols when doing incremental compilation. I think it's mostly template
symbols that cause problems. I've heard that using the -lib flag, DMD
will output all symbols to all object files.

Since header/import files are rarely used in D you often need to
recompile quite many files even if you only do localized changes,
specially compared to C/C++ using header files.

--
/Jacob Carlborg