Method invocation -- why it's not working?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Mar 7 22:42:18 PST 2012

On Wednesday, March 07, 2012 22:40:02 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 07:32:18AM +0100, Comrad wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Basically, I was following Andrei's book, where this feature is
> > described. It's a pity, that it's not working (except arrays somehow)
> >
> > :( - I need it!
>
> Yeah there are some features in the book that aren't completely
> implemented yet. They are being looked into with high priority.

True. But I would point out that TDPL never actually says that it works with
all types. It only shows it with arrays. Now, it's not entirely clear on
whether it's supposed to work with all types, but it definitely doesn't say
that it does. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Andrei wrote it with the
intention that it was only supposed to work with arrays but wasn't clear
enough in his description.

Still, there are definitely a lot of people who want it to work with all types,
so it's likely that it will be expanded to work with more types. Whether it
will ever work with _all_ types is somewhat in question due to ambiguity
issues involving structs and classes (e.g. when a member function and a free
function using UFCS would conflict). But there's a decent chance that that will
be resolved and UFCS will end up working for all types. Until then though, all
it works with is arrays.

- Jonathan M Davis