Method invocation -- why it's not working?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Mar 9 10:37:47 PST 2012

On Friday, March 09, 2012 19:13:02 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 3/9/12, Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah I understood it as a general concept as well. Probably many
> > people did. Why doesn't Andrei chime in?

I don't think that Andrei even pays attention to D.learn. Certainly, if he's
ever posted in it, it's been quite a while.

> Btw, we all know how much Andrei loves generics so why the heck would
> he care about arrays so much to only give them special properties? I'm
> almost 100% sure he meant UFCS to be available for all types. And if
> not, I bet he wouldn't second-guess this feature. IOW I think Jonathan
> is just being pedantic about wording.

Arrays have been supported with such syntax for ages. UFCS has not, and it has
been a subject of debate whether it should be. It certainly was not generally
accepted and expected when TDPL was released that we would get UFCS. And if he
_were_ talking about UFCS, then he'd be talking about stuff like 5.max(7), not
just arrays. He also likely use the term Universal Function Call Syntax. But
he doesn't do that. Rather, he specifically talks about arrays, and all of the
examples use arrays.

- Jonathan M Davis