Rewrite of std.range docs (Was: Re: Making sense of ranges)

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Mar 25 17:52:02 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 06:19:32PM +0000, Stewart Gordon wrote:
> The documentation for std.range states
>
> http://dlang.org/phobos/std_range.html
> "This module defines the notion of range (by the membership tests
> isInputRange, isForwardRange, isBidirectionalRange,
> isRandomAccessRange), range capability tests (such as hasLength or
> hasSlicing), and a few useful range incarnations."
>
> But that intro doesn't describe what a range actually is.
[...]

In a previous post long lost inside a rather large thread some time ago,
I proposed a rewrite of the docs of std.range to make it clearer, at
least on a basic level, what a range is, why we should care, and what
the module offers.

This thread has further convinced me that std.range's docs *need* this
rewrite. So here's my first attempt at it:

	https://github.com/quickfur/phobos/tree/stdrange_docs

It's not complete yet; I still have a few more range-creation templates
to cover, and then list the auxiliary functions, etc., before it's ready
for merging into Phobos. But I thought I should put it up for review
here first, in case people have some comments/suggestions or further
things that should be put into the docs. Better to put it all in a
single pull request than waste the Phobos maintainers' time with
multiple updates to the docs.

So, comments, suggestions, flames, etc., are hereby solicited. :-)

If lightning were to ever strike an orchestra, it'd always hit the conductor first.