std.stream.File help required (and classes)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 07:53:34 PDT 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:46:08 -0400, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 01:58:03PM +0200, akaz wrote:
> [...]
>>  Now, the questions:
>>
>>  1. why there is std.stdio.File, but also std.stream.File? This
>> gives a conflict and explicit names must then be used to avoid
>> conflict.
> [...]
>
> This is a design flaw that will be fixed eventually. There's a std.io
> module in the works that will eventually replace std.stream and
> std.stdio. Unfortunately it's at a roadblock right now.

I just want to correct some inaccuracies:

1. std.io will *not* replace std.stdio, it will replace std.stream.
std.stdio.File will be able to use std.io's objects as implementation, but
this will be transparent to existing code.
2. There is not a roadblock, I'm working on it very slowly is all :)

I'm hoping to have something more concrete soon.  I just got RefCounted to
work with classes, and that was a major issue, since std.io is
interface/class based.

-Steve