Clunky syntax

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 01:49:18 PDT 2012

On Monday, 7 May 2012 at 18:03:45 UTC, Chris Cain wrote:
> On Monday, 7 May 2012 at 17:52:01 UTC, ixid wrote:
>> Thank you, could you explain what is happening in your
>> example? Bar is inheriting from Foo, what are you getting when
>>  you create a parent of type sub-class compared  to Bar b =
>> new  Bar; and Foo b = new Foo; ? Foo b = new Bar won't compile
>> if  you add members to Bar and access them.

> Foo is the "interface" you'll have to bar.
>
> OOP isn't terribly hard, but I suggest reading up on it some to
>  grasp the concepts (and especially so you can see the
> benefits).

  D also takes the approach with classes and objects that is
closer to java than C++: All methods are overridable for
polymorphism by default. Using interfaces and safely up&down
casting using the known interfaces is so much easier. I haven't
done much with C++, but these types of things are more error and
bug prone than D and java; Not to mention the STL gives me a
total headache.

  I have a good mental idea of how to explain OOP and inheritance
using a RPG-like game example, which would be less confusing than
the usual animals and shapes (At least it is to me).