Reading ASCII file with some codes above 127 (exten ascii)

Paul phshaffer at gmail.com
Sun May 13 14:03:43 PDT 2012

I am reading a file that has a few extended ASCII codes (e.g.
degree symdol). Depending on how I read the file in and what I do
with it the error shows up at different points.  I'm pretty sure
it all boils down to the these extended ascii codes.

Can I just tell dmd that I'm reading a Latin1 or ISO 8859-1 file?
  I've messed with the std.encoding module but really can't figure
out what I need to do.

There must be a simple solution to this.