allocate array with new

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed May 16 14:12:58 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:05:02 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> It would be nice if there was an easy way of switching allocators, so
> that you can, for example, indicate that all allocations done inside a
> particular function should use malloc/free (including, say, AA's,
> arrays, etc.), and have the runtime automatically switch back to the GC
> on scope exit.

Once we have custom allocators, that should be easy enough as long as you
passing the allocator around. But new will always use the GC, and malloc will
always do what it does in C (it _is_ the C function after all), so anything
you want in terms of custom allocation is going to have to go through custom
allocator objects. However, since the custom allocators are going to be
runtime entities (rather than having classes templated on their allocators
like the STL does), it would be easy enough to choose the appropriate
allocator at runtime and have each function use a different allocator if it so
chooses.

- Jonathan M Davis