Reading ASCII file with some codes above 127 (exten ascii)

Paul phshaffer at gmail.com
Wed May 23 13:44:23 PDT 2012

> The safest way is probably to read it as binary data (i.e.
> byte[]), then
> do the conversion into UTF8, then process it, and finally
> convert it
> back to latin-1 (in binary form) and output it.
>
> D assumes Unicode internally; if you try to read a Latin-1 file
> as
> char[], you may be running into some implicit UTF conversions
> that are
> corrupting the data. Best use byte[] for reading/writing, and do
> conversions to/from UTF-8 internally for processing.

You mean something like Era has done in the first reply?

If that is so I have to say I'm really surprized.  To write D so
it natively expects and outputs unicode is one thing but not
making a clean simple way to read extended ASCII chars (i.e.
Latin1) and write them back out seems like an oversight.

I think I'm (actually Graham) is close.
Thanks for your feedback HS.