Reading ASCII file with some codes above 127 (exten ascii)

Paul phshaffer at gmail.com
Wed May 23 14:02:25 PDT 2012

> This works, though it's ugly:
>

>     foreach(line; uniS.splitLines()) {
>        transcode(line, latinS);
>        fout.writeln((cast(char[]) latinS));
>     }
>
> The Latin1String type, at the storage level, is a ubyte[]. By
> casting to char[], you can get a similar-to-string thing that
> writeln() can handle.
>
> Graham

Awesome!  What a lesson! Thannk you!

So if anyone is following this thread heres my code now.  This
reads a text file(encoded in Latin1 which is basic ascii with
extended ascii codes), allows D to work with it in unicode, and
then spits it back out as Latin1.

I wonder about the speed between this method and Era's home-spun
solution?

import std.stdio;
import std.string;
import std.file;
import std.encoding;

// Main function
void main(){
     auto fout = File("out.txt","w");
     auto latinS = cast(Latin1String) read("in.txt");
     string uniS;
     transcode(latinS, uniS);