druntime investigation troubles

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu May 24 12:46:28 PDT 2012

On May 23, 2012, at 7:49 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> On 2012-05-23 13:31, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> I found a call now, it's in "_d_criticalenter", both in critical.c and
>>> critical_.d.
>>>

>> OK, so does this mean monitor is only used on Posix, and critical is
>> used only on windows? This seems a little weird. Especially since we are
>> still compiling monitor.c.
>>
>> -Steve
>
> No, there's a "_d_criticalenter" for Posix in critical(_).d/c which calls "_STI_critical_init". It seems there's a duplicate call for "_STI_critical_init" on Posix, in dmain2.d and in critical(_).d/c.
>
> Also this actually looks like a big mess:
>
> * critical_.d and critical.c contains the same code. critical_.d is used in the posix makefile. critical.c _and_ critical_.d is used in the win32 makefile
>
> * "_STI_critical_init" is implemented on both Posix and Windows, but it's only called on Posix
>
> * "_STI_critical_init" is called on multiple places on Posix. In dmain2.d and in "_d_criticalenter".

If I remember correctly, Brad Roberts tried porting the old C critical section code to D a while back and something didn't work right.  Both versions of the code still exist, and at some point the D code needs to be sorted and the C code should be thrown away.  I suppose I should make this my top priority, when I find the time.