Simplified socket creation and handling

Jarl André" <jarl.andre at gmail.com> Jarl André" <jarl.andre at gmail.com>
Sun May 27 02:55:03 PDT 2012

On Friday, 25 May 2012 at 20:55:12 UTC, Donald Duvall wrote:
> On Friday, 25 May 2012 at 20:50:25 UTC, Donald Duvall wrote:

>>> And here it comes:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/jarlah/d2-simple-socket-server
>>>
>>> This is my object oriented contribution to the problem.
>>>
>>> Based on closed/open principe, in that expansion is done by
>>> adding new classes and not modifying the existing code.
>>>
>>> Comments are appreciated.
>>
>> Would it be possible for someone to write some documentation
>> on this socket server and make it windows compatible?
>>
>> I am just learning D and coming from C# sockets this is much
>> different and I understand it completely. I would much
>> appreciate any help with understanding sockets in D and any
>> pointers in the right direction.
>
> Sorry for the typo: I do NOT understand it completely.

Thanks for the feedback! Well, for me I am a Java enterprise
developer working with Java on Unix, but, I have worked with .NET
in the past giving me a tiny portion of mercy to those that
enjoys Visual Studio :) Its actually a blazing fast IDE. Enough
digression.

The last days I have completely rewritten the library, and have
also added a build script (you can just rename it from
"simpleserver.sh" to "simpleserver.bat" and it will work.
However, there are two things about this library that I am
currently working on:

1. Windows support is lacking because I use a thread pool with
imports for posix (unix systems) and I'm not extremely good at D
yet.

2. For some reason I left an implementation of
AbstractClientCommandHamdler in the quickserver library but it
was intentional that this should reside in the simpleserver.d
file, completely closing the library and making it possible to
create a server without modifying the library at all.

3. I am wondering if I should export the threadpool into its own
library so not to clutter up the quickserver.d file with
Windows/Posix compability code. At the moment the server itslf is
system independent.

So the answer is: yes I'll try to look at windows support, but if
someone wants to help me I'll gladly say yes.