Is Override Still Mandatory?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Nov 14 00:04:29 PST 2012

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 07:59:06 Rob T wrote:
> That's good news. If I were to use the latest pre-release version
> of dmd that was relatively safe, how will I find it, or is it OK
> to use the master branch?

The master branch _is_ the pre-release version. dmd, druntime, and Phobos do
not really use proper branches at this point (and even if they did, I wouldn't
expect there to be a branch separate from master prior to a beta). It should
be reasonably safe to use, but there's no telling how it will affect your code
differently from the last release. At minimum there are several known
regressions (which will be fixed prior to the next release), and there may be
others. Personally, I use master all the time, but I'm one of the Phobos
developers. It's fine if you use master (it could help us find regressions if
nothing else), but I wouldn't really advise using it just to be able to use
the -di flag.

Also, some of us are hoping that the change to deprecated will be reverted in
favor of making it so that warnings will be the default for using deprecated
symbols rather than having error be the default. Having -di is nice, but it
really doesn't fix much. The main problem (at least from the library writer's
point of view) is that deprecating anything instantly breaks the code of
anyone using that the now deprecated symbol. -di makes it so that a programmer
can protect themselves from that, but it still shackles the library writer
such that they can't deprecate anything if they don't ever want to break
anyone's code without giving more warning that a note in the changelog or
documentation.

- Jonathan M Davis