Calls to struct methods and immutable

Dan dbdavidson at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 12:23:49 PST 2012

On Thursday, 29 November 2012 at 16:28:42 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> My one caveat here is that in general I'm reluctant to rely too
> strongly on 3rd-party libraries at this stage of D's
> development.  That's particularly true where stuff like this is
> concerned -- which might well be best placed in the standard
> library itself.  Generic, broadly-applicable .dup and .idup
> commands would seem to be something that should be available in
> Phobos ...
>
> ... anyway, back to the specifics -- even though I could use
> opmix, I'd still really like to understand for myself how to
> solve the problems described in my previous emails -- in
> particular, how to effectively idup my struct containing the
> Node[uint] associative array _without_ relying on some external
> library.  My feeling is I'll learn more about D this way ... :-)

I feel the same way - as I said there are no guarantees, I'm
using it but it may not cover the majority of cases and it may be
obviated by whatever solution Walter is cooking up for copy
construction and copying of const reference types. Doing it
yourself is the best way to learn. What I really like about D is
that you can have what seems like a crippling issue (no way to
copy const objects) and use features like mixin compile time
recursion to have a potentially nice general solution. I also
think the dup should be formalized, maybe not as a keyword but a
strong convention supported by the language, maybe phobos. For
example, in your code you have already written 2 idup functions.
The code below works as well with no need to write those custom
functions. Besides, it should be safer (assuming it works ;-)
because you can add new fields and have less to update. BTW: if
you are still working on this be aware you may eventually have
some (unwanted?) data sharing going on since there are no
postblits and you have reference types with aliasing.

Some descriptions of the code and its intentions are:

https://github.com/patefacio/d-help/blob/master/doc/canonical.pdf

Thanks
Dan

import std.stdio;
import std.typecons;
import std.conv;
import std.exception;
import opmix.mix;

alias Tuple!(uint, "id") Link;

struct Node
{
   uint id;
   Link[] links;

   void addLink(uint l)
   {
     links ~= Link(l);

struct Network
{
   Node[uint] nodes;

   void add(uint i, uint j)
   {
     if((i in nodes) is null)
       nodes[i] = Node(i);
     if((j in nodes) is null)
       nodes[j] = Node(j);

     nodes[i].addLink(j);
     nodes[j].addLink(i);
   }

   void print()
   {
     foreach(k; nodes.keys)
       {
         write("[", k, "]");
         foreach(l; nodes[k].links)
           write(" ", l.id);
         writeln();
       }
     writeln();

unittest {
   auto n1 = Node(1);

   n1.addLink(5);
   n1.addLink(6);
   writeln(n1.links);

   immutable n2 = cast(immutable)n1.gdup;
   writeln(n2.links);

   Network net1;
   net1.add(1,2);
   immutable Network net2 = cast(immutable)net1.gdup;
   writeln(net1);
   writeln(net2);