First experience with Threads

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 12:27:58 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 6 October 2012 at 14:01:30 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> Have you considered std.parallelism? If you can represent the
> data as a slice, then a parallel foreach loop on that data is
> all you need:

> There is the following chapter about that module, which covers
> most of std.parallelism:

  Still heavily relying on TDPL which covered concurrency and
message passing and shared, but not std.parallelism. On the other
hand it does look like it contains more of what I wanted.

> Even though I have made a second pass to include the
> apparently-newly-added features, there are some features of
> std.parallelism that are missing in the chapter.

> Although you don't seem to need it, there is also message
> passing concurrency:

  For the moment I wanted to avoid message passing and shared, as
they seem more complex than they need to be for now. I'm writing
a merger (for game files) and in there you have records that
modify other records, and records that don't. Only records that
modify other records need to (and can run) in parallel, the rest
if they qualify just get added.

  So once again, thank you and I'll give it a try after I read
through it.