ddoc - documenting private variables

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 6 23:43:39 PDT 2012

> On Saturday, October 06, 2012 13:10:31 Charles Hixson wrote:
>> How does one generate documentation for private variables?  ...  Other,
>> I mean, than switching to DOxygen (which has it's own problems with D).
>
> AFAIK, you can't. ddoc is configured primarily (entirely?) through the ddoc file
> that you use, and that's really for configuring how the information is
> displayed, not what is displayed.
>
> ddoc is a nice, simple tool that allows you to easily generate documentation,
> and you can do some fairly powerful stuff through ddoc macros, but it's not
> designed to be anywhere near as flexible or powerful as doxygen.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Well, DOxygen works ok if you don't use function contracts, and possibly
if you keep the entire program in one file.  (It's been awhile since I
used it with D, so I don't quite remember the limitations, and maybe
they've improved it.)

One way in which I prefer DOxygen over ddoc is that the documentation
comments are a bit more compact.  Since I only have one screen, that
sometimes makes things a lot more legible.  OTOH, the last time I used
it I certainly got annoyed by it's limitations (in dealing with D).  But
this time I really need to document private variables, so I guess
there's no choice (unless I go with something like robodoc...ugh).