ddoc - documenting private variables

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 7 12:23:37 PDT 2012

On 10/07/2012 09:46 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 October 2012 at 20:23:11 UTC, Charles Hixson wrote:
>> How does one generate documentation for private variables? ...
>> Other, I mean, than switching to DOxygen (which has it's own problems
>> with D).
>
> check this out from the announce group:
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/k4sa0j$73k$1@digitalmars.com#post-k4sa0j:2473k:241:40digitalmars.com

When I went there, my first thought was "Who rejected this and why?"
When I look more carefully, it looks like my intended use (generation of
documentation for D code that has nothing to do with the web) is at best
pretty much of an after-thought.  And the documentation doesn't indicate
that it would be suitable for someone with my skill level.  (I.e., it
looks like you need to read the code to figure it out.)

FWIW, I have absolutely NO knowledge of JSON, except that it's something
to do with web pages (well, and it's a language or possibly a library).
  So having to go through JSON as an intermediate step to generating the
documentation doesn't look desirable.

OTOH, I'm an old Fortran programmer that switched over to Python (after
looking at lots of other choices) awhile ago, because I didn't like the
way C was so free with the use of pointers, etc.  My facility with D
isn't all that great, especially when you start talking about templates
and mix-in templates.  It's quite possible that people with a different
background would find this much more approachable than I do.