bigger then size_t

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 10:02:52 PDT 2012

On 09-Oct-12 20:36, maarten van damme wrote:
> Another quick question. When I know an array is going to have an
> length smaller then 255, can I use bytes as index or do I have to use
> size_t to make it portable across 64 bit platforms?

The real question is why you need that? Byte is not faster (if not
slower). And again you still need to cast to size_t and back (as .length
is size_t).
The only value could probably be to have indexes occupy less space (if
you store them somewhere). Still this needs some extra checks (or at
least asserts).

--
Dmitry Olshansky