How many std.concurrency receivers?

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 18:55:27 PDT 2012

I haven't been able to get an idea of how many std.concurrency receivers
is reasonable.  Is it a reasonable way to implement a cellular automaton
(assume each cell has a float number of states)...it isn't exactly a
cellular automaton, but it isn't exactly a neural network, either.  (I
was considering Erlang, but each cell has variable state, which Erlang
doesn't have a nice way to do.)

TDPL quotes the recommendation from an Erlang book "Have LOTS of
threads!", but doesn't really say how to guess at an order of magnitude
of what's reasonable for D std.concurrency.  People on Erlang say that
100's of thousands of threads is reasonable.  Is it the same for D?