Good D book

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Oct 13 02:40:05 PDT 2012

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 11:29:29 Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
> I've been using D for a few months now, and i love it. It dawned
> on me that it would be nice to have some books to go over though!
>
> I saw "The D Programming Language" by Andrei Alexandrescu on
> Amazon, and I almost bought it when I saw it was written in 2010.
> I know that D is under development, so would this book still be a
> viable option?
>
> Are there any other books that someone would recommend?
>
> Thanks much!

That is _the_ D book. It's mostly correct, and what's not should be in the
errata:

http://erdani.com/tdpl/errata/

The main exceptions would be a few items which haven't been fully implemented
yet (e.g. multiple alias thises per type), but they should be implemented
eventually, so the book will become _more_ correct in that regard. TDPL is
pretty much intended to be the definitive resource on D. It's the best
programming book that I've ever read, and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone
learning D. I think that any serious D programmer who doesn't read it is short
changing themselves.

The only other option that I'm aware of is this free, online book by Ali
Çehreli:

http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html

It was originally written in Turkish, but a lot of it has been translated. I
really don't know how good it is though, as I haven't read much of it (though
I expect that it's just fine given who the author is). But if you're not
willing to shell out the $34 for TDPL or want another reference, there's no
question that it's the best that there is.

- Jonathan M Davis