Good D book

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Oct 13 08:03:18 PDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 11:29:29AM +0200, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
> I've been using D for a few months now, and i love it. It dawned on
> me that it would be nice to have some books to go over though!
>
> I saw "The D Programming Language" by Andrei Alexandrescu on Amazon,
> and I almost bought it when I saw it was written in 2010. I know
> that D is under development, so would this book still be a viable
> option?
>
> Are there any other books that someone would recommend?
[...]

I agree with the other replies: most definitely get Andrei's book (known
by its acronym TDPL around these parts). I had been intending to get
into D for a while before I found the book in my local bookstore; but it
was after I started reading it that I *really* started to grok what D
was about.

In short, it's a definite must-read. Even though there are some (small)
discrepancies between the book and the current D implementation, the
intent is to move in the direction of the book. So you'll be missing out
a lot if you pass over it.

Mediocrity has been pushed to extremes.