Good D book

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 10:24:42 PDT 2012

On 10/13/2012 05:42 AM, Lubos Pintes wrote:
 > So this means there is no chance to obtain the TDPL legally in some
 > accessible format?

My copy of the TDPL says "free online edition with the purchase of this
book." It's supposed to be an Safari Online Books.

 > For blind, PDF or even paper makes no sense...
 > Well, PDF sometimes, but rarely.

I don't know how accessible the Safari edition is.

 > I mean similar to chapter 1, which is released on
 > dlang.org.

"Concurrency in the D Programming Language", another excellent chapter
of TDPL is also freely available:

   http://www.informit.com/articles/printerfriendly.aspx?p=1609144

 > Dňa 13. 10. 2012 11:40 Jonathan M Davis wrote / napísal(a):

 >> The only other option that I'm aware of is this free, online book by Ali
 >> Çehreli:
 >>
 >> http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html
 >>
 >> It was originally written in Turkish, but a lot of it has been
 >> translated. I
 >> really don't know how good it is though, as I haven't read much of it
 >> (though
 >> I expect that it's just fine given who the author is). But if you're not
 >> willing to shell out the $34 for TDPL or want another reference,
 >> there's no
 >> question that it's the best that there is.

Thank you Jonathan. Here is what I know about that book:

- The book is written for people who are very new to programming.
Especially the first chapters would be boring for experienced programmers.

- The book progresses in a style that may be hard to follow for many
people: It tries not to use features of D unless they have been
introduced in the previous chapters. There are rare exceptions of this rule.

- Parts of the book has been written while I was learning D from a point
of view of a C++ programmer. The good news is, most of the chapters that
are in English have been greatly revised. (It is so easy to correct
mistakes and improve chapters of online material.) One of the things
that I still need to get rid of is the hash_t and equals_t aliases. ;)

Ali