std.stream, BOM, and deprecation

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 13 18:53:48 PDT 2012

If std.stream is being deprecated, what is the correct way to deal with
file BOMs.  This is particularly concerning utf8 files, which I
understand to be a bit problematic, as there isn't, actually, a utf8
BOM, merely a convention which isn't a part of a standard.  But the
std.stdio documentation doesn't so much as mention byte order marks (BOMs).

If this should wait until std.io is released, then I could use
std.stream until them, but the documentation is already warning to avoid
using it.