std.stream, BOM, and deprecation

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 10:29:59 PDT 2012

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 21:53:48 -0400, Charles Hixson
<charleshixsn at earthlink.net> wrote:

> If std.stream is being deprecated, what is the correct way to deal with
> file BOMs.  This is particularly concerning utf8 files, which I
> understand to be a bit problematic, as there isn't, actually, a utf8
> BOM, merely a convention which isn't a part of a standard.  But the
> std.stdio documentation doesn't so much as mention byte order marks
> (BOMs).
>
> If this should wait until std.io is released, then I could use
> std.stream until them, but the documentation is already warning to avoid
> using it.

When std.io is released, it will be fully BOM-aware by default (as long as
you use the purely D versions).  The plan from my point of view is for
std.io be be a replacement backend for std.stdio, with the C version being
the default (as it must be for compatibility purposes).

-Steve