Threading Question

Peter Sommerfeld noreply at rubrica.at
Tue Oct 23 11:25:54 PDT 2012

Hi!

I'm new to D an not a native speaker so I may misunderstand
the following sentence of the thread documentation.

"final @property void isDaemon(bool val);

Sets the daemon status for this thread. While the runtime
will wait for all normal threads to complete before tearing
down the process, daemon threads are effectively ignored and
thus will not prevent the process from terminating. In effect,
daemon threads will be terminated automatically by the OS when
the process exits."

That sounds to me as if the daemon will be finished when the
main-thread has finished. But in my understanding daemons will
survive the termination of the main-thread and be killed by
a signal (KILL, SIGTERM etc) or finish itself.

I think that is the case here too. Is that true ?

Another question: I cannot find a reference how D deals with
OS SIGNALS, especially about differences between the platform
(*nix; Windows, Mac). Can you explain or point me to the
documentation?

Peter