Sort order of dirEntries

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Oct 24 17:30:50 PDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 02:15:06AM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just been playing with dirEntries and by the looks of it, it
> returns these entries in arbitrary order.
>
> Is there a way to get it to sort the entries in alphabetical order,
> other than the obvious one of storing them in an array and sorting
> that?  (This is untenable because I'm talking about a lot of
> files...:-)
[...]

This may not be possible if the OS doesn't keep the entries in sorted
order (and from what I know, most OS's don't; it's only sorted upon
display). *Somebody* will have to do the sorting, whether it's the OS,
or the library or user code. The performance penalty will still be
incurred regardless.

Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and algebra don't mix.