GDC build [was: Re: Sort order of dirEntries]

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Oct 25 14:22:41 PDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:08:48PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 10/25/2012 10:07 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >No guarantees that it will work, though. The GCC build system is a
> >fragile, sensitive animal.
>
> Indeed ... having followed your instructions (on 64-bit Ubuntu
> 12.10) I found myself first faced with the "cannot find crti.o" I'd
> encountered before.

Oh? Did you run the debian/rules patch command in the package source
directory? That was supposed to have fixed this issue, and potentially
the issue you're seeing below (Debian-based systems break several
assumptions that the GCC build system makese, so you really want to be
applying the Debian patches to increase your odds of the build
succeeding).

> I "fixed" that by Alex Petersen's suggestion of symlinking
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/crt*.o to /usr/lib/crt*.o (which hopefully
> won't break anything) and the build proceeded on that basis, but
> finally fell over with another error, I think while trying to build
> gcov-dump (it's a bit hard to tell with such verbose compilation
> statements as GCC has):

Hmm. Frankly, I have no idea what's going on here. :-( I myself am
facing an error where gdc git HEAD isn't building because Walter's .c
C++ files are getting compiled with gcc, and failing horribly 'cos it's
C++, not C. According to Iain, this isn't supposed to happen, but I
still have no idea why it's happening.

What parameters did you pass to configure? I wonder if you can turn off
some stuff that you don't need, that might avoid this problem. I know
that for me, I have to use --disable-multilib (at least), otherwise the
build will fail. I also have --disable-gomp and --disable-quadmath,
since neither are used by GDC. I'm not sure if they're related to your
issue though.

It is widely believed that reinventing the wheel is a waste of time; but I disagree: without wheel reinventers, we would be still be stuck with wooden horse-cart wheels.