__traits(compiles,...) <=> ? is(typeof(...))

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Oct 29 18:53:04 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 02:22:42 Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 10/30/2012 01:43 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> >> That is a different issue.
> >
> > But as long as private symbols are visible, they should work with
> > is(typeof(blah)), because it's testing for their existence, not whether
> > they can be used or not..
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> wtf.

??? Nothing else would make sense. As long as private symbols are visible,
then typeof should interact with them like it interacts with all other visible
symbols. It's not testing for compilability, just existence. It would be very
inconsistent for it to consider private variables as non-existent when they're
visible. Everything else considers them to exist. It's just that nothing
outside of the module that they're declared in can use them. The _only_ thing
that private affects at this point is whether a symbol can be used. So, it
should definitely affect __traits(compiles, foo), but since is(typeof(foo)) only
cares about existence, not compilability, it should work with private
variables.

Things change if/when private variable become invisible outside of their
module, but for now, they're not.

- Jonathan M Davis